Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Minnesota Nice Guys and Somali Community

I was slugging down the last of my double espresso when Thom, my editor, stopped by my work area.

"I assume you saw the story about the Minnesota Nice Guys getting charged," he said. 

Of course I had. A few months ago I had written about guys just like them who were hooking up with very nice girls recruited by an evil principal who preyed upon them at the Mall of America. (Where's Billie?) 

People think that nice guys -- businessmen, lawyers, men held in esteem in the community -- don't get involved in despicable acts like prostitution. I learned long ago that nice folks have a bad side and bad folks often have a nice side. That's what motivates me in my work, writing stories that dispel the commonly accepted perception.

"Did you see the story today about the Somali gang prostitution bust?" Thom asked.  "I think there's a deeper story there behind the indictment."

Hmmmmm, I thought. I think he's right. Maybe I should look into that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, what do you think? Comment here and let me know.